Friday, January 9, 2009

Question????

This is for anyone that reads my blog that is over the age of 25...ish, lol.

When do parents finally take into consideration that you are no longer a "child" and are very much GROWN. After I have had a child, gotten my own place, and been supporting myself...I am still BABIED. Case in point, I have a new boo...and I invited him to the crib for the first time. It just so happens that same evening my mother visits. Now, my mom hates EVERYONE I date. Never does she have anything nice to say about one person. But she comes over plays with her grandson and then leaves. At 4 am I receive a phone call...

Ma: "Is that nigga still there?"

Me: *sleepily* "Yes"

Ma: "I know you don't have some nigga sleeping over there in the house with my grandbaby!"

Me: "Sure do...BYE!"

Now this is the first time I have had a guy spend the night with me, since my son has been born (except my best friend and godbrother that frequents my couch after the club). I finally felt like I could bring this guy around to meet my son because I feel strongly about him. Yet, the first thing that comes to my mother's mind is...I'm about to fuck.

Now there are numerous situations where my mother trets me as if I am still under her roof, and I do not know how to really make it cease. How do I bring this topic up in a way that I am not disrespectful. I mean I make mistakes, but I do like to believe that most of my decisions now days are pretty damn good. UGH...what to do???

3 comments:

Jia said...

Sorry but it never stops.

I am at home visiting until I move back to Atlanta at the end of the month. I get babied about EVERYTHING from eating veggies on down to putting a coat on just to run and check the mail. My parents were never involved in my relationship life b/c they know that I am quick to cut someone off, so they felt that it was no point. But honestly, I don't think it ever ends.

My mother even says to me "You might ___ years old but you're still my baby."

Wow.

Unknown said...

Um I really don't know! lol I've never had this problem with my mom - I mean she has added her 2 cents in on stuff but never has she tried to parent me from afar so to speak [by the way my period key on this old laptop doesn't work, so this will be on complete run on sentence! lol]

I would just sit down face to face and politely explain that you are an adult and you know what your doing - and if that doesn't work say lookie here if you want more grandkids in the future and me happily married off RELAX n CHILL!!!!

Eb the Celeb said...

My mom has never been this way but my grandparents will not let me be an adult for my life. When I visit on holidays and go out with friends my grandmother says... dont stay out too late... uummm... I am 27 years old... I dont have a curfew.

Seriously... there is nothing you will ever be able to do to convince them that you are an adult. I guess its just one of those facts of life.